Have you ever thought that your mattress also gets dirty and sweaty like your pajamas?
If we were to sleep every night for a whole year on our beds, we would be sleeping on our mattress 365 times per year, around eight hours each night. And an average mattress can last around 7 years, so doing quick calculations this could mean that you would be sleeping 2555 nights on the same mattress!
Have you ever thought that your mattress also gets dirty and sweaty like your pajamas? And have you ever done a deep cleaning of it?
We regularly don’t think about cleaning our mattress, even though we use it every night and for every nap. But mattresses indeed need to get deep cleaned and washed as we do with our linen and favorite pajamas.
But how should you clean a mattress? And how often?
There are small DIY hacks to clean your mattress that will take away stains and that smell you hadn’t noticed until you read this!
If you want a dirt and residue free mattress you will need: 450 gr of Baking soda, Essential oil and a Vacuum cleaner.
- Open the box or bag of baking soda and add 10 to 20 drops of essential oil (Sandalwood, Lavender or Chamomile work great and are antibacterial). Close the box/bag and shake it so the oil spreads and large clumps are broken.
- Sprinkle the whole box/bag of baking soda over the bed. Now start rubbing the baking soda mixture into the bed for a couple of minutes, especially on those areas where you see stains. Let the baking soda and the essential oil sink in and work the magic for at least one hour. This baking soda mixture will not only freshen your bed but it will also lift dirt, residue and eliminate moisture.
- After the hour is up, vacuum the mattress (remember that your vacuum hose must be clean of dust so no dust stain is left on the mattress). Work slowly to ensure all the baking soda is removed. By vacuuming your mattress you will suck away dust mites.
- Make the bed and get ready for bedtime!
- Repeat this process at least every 4 months.
Some extra tips:
It’s a great habit to rotate your mattress every six months to extend it’s life and prevent sagging, if its a two-sided mattress. Also, you will need to clean your mattress on two sides. Rotate it before doing the deep cleaning.
Now that you’re into cleaning your mattress, try wiping down the walls around your bed and bed frame.
We didn’t say doing a deep cleaning on your mattress would be fast and easy, but it works! However, you will need at least two hours to get the job done. In any case you can also call Helpro Cleaning Services and our professional technicians will clean your mattress in no time.